How to Choose the Best Lawyer For Your Needs
Conduct Candidate Interviews
One of the best ways to assess a lawyer’s legal ability is by interviewing the lawyer. Most attorneys will provide an initial consultation (usually an hour or less) at no charge. A few important questions to ask during this meeting are:
- What experience does the lawyer have in your type of legal matter?
- How long has he been in practice?
- What is his track record of success?
- What percentage of his caseload is dedicated to handling your type of legal problem?
- Does he have any special skills or certifications?
- What are his fees and how are they structured?
- Does he carry malpractice insurance? If so, how much?
- Who else would be working on your case and what are their rates?
- Does he outsource any key legal tasks for functions?
- What additional costs may be involved in addition to lawyer fees (postage, filing fees, copy fees, etc.)?
- How often will you be billed?
- Can he provide references from other clients?
Every client wants the best possible lawyer at the best possible price to represent them. However, there is no simple, uniform, universally accepted system or method for finding a lawyer. This checklist is a practical resource to help you get started.